Oak Glen Schoolhouse

A replica of the Old Wood Schoolhouse is being built by San Bernardino County Special Districts. The Oak Glen School House & Park Association will be furnishing the interior with school items appropriate for the time period the little schoolhouse was used; 1889 to 1927.

The two story permanent schoolhouse was built in 1927. It is a standard “stick” frame building with an exterior of stones brought by horse and sled from Mill Creek.

Apple ranch owner, Joe Wilshire, donated 1.2 acres of land for the school’s location, adjacent to the Wilshire Ranch. On May 13, 1927, the board called for a school bond election set for June 4th of that year. The Redlands Daily Facts reported on May 13, 1927, “It is expected that the bonds will carry without opposition for the people of the district are very much in favor of it.” Residents in the Oak Glen School District voted 12 – 0 for a $7,500 bond to build the new school. The amount may seem low, but by comparison  Model A Fords were selling for only $471.31.

The bond, needed to finance construction of the new school, was purchased by the only bidder, Elmer J. Kennedy of Los Angeles. The building, constructed with native stone, was built by H. B. Duke and his son Lee.

Holsinger’s Lumber & Hardware Company of Yucaipa took the construction contract, allowing area builders to work on the school to payoff bills they owed at the hardware store.

In 1965,the schoolhouse was closed as a school for two main reasons:

1. It failed to meet the earthquake standards of the Field Act of 1965.

2. There were not enough students registered to attend school for that year.

Yes. Alumni belong to the Oak Glen Schoolhouse Museum and Park Association. Several individuals have attended reunions that have been held through the years and some still visit with their families and friends and share their memories.

Unfortunately no full time teachers are alive. Mrs. Theresa Law, who served as a substitute teacher for Mrs VanHorn, still runs her shop, Apple Tree Gifts & Country Things, located under Law’s Oak Glen Coffee Shop.

Yes, you may bring your dog to the park if he/she is on a leash. Please bring your own supplies to clean up after him/her.

Please email oakglenschoolmuseum@gmail.com or phone 909-797-1691 with date, time and number of people expected to attend.

The schoolhouse is usually open Saturday and Sunday 12 noon to 4pm.

September, October and November it is open Wednesday through Sunday 12 noon to 4pm .

Groups are welcome to call 909-797-1691 to make reservations for tours at their convenience.

It is closed in rain or snow.

The downstairs room served as a lunch room. It has a kitchenette used to cook hot lunches several times a week. The stage that was located on the east end was used for plays and assemblies.

Approximately once a month the community would have potluck dinners and dancing.

It is still used today for meeting, weddings and parties.

First grade through Eighth grade – then when Kindergarten became part of the school system, Kindergarten through Eighth grade.